Council for International Relations – Palestine (CIR) valued a statement issued by the Human Rights Office calling for holding accountable those responsible for Israeli settler violence against Palestinians.
The Council said in a statement issued on Wednesday that settler crimes reached an unprecedented level against the Palestinians in 2018.
The Council said that violence by Jewish settlers and right-wing activists against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank tripled last year, with 482 such incidents reported by mid-December, compared to 140 for 2017, according to Haaretz.
In addition to beating up and throwing stones at Palestinians, more frequently the offences consisted of painting nationalist and anti-Arab or anti-Muslim slogans, damaging homes and cars and cutting down trees belonging to Palestinian farmers, Israel’s Haaretz newspaper reported.
“We call upon the Human Rights Council to send a commission of inquiry into these crimes and to pressure the international community to exert maximum pressure on the occupation to end its occupation, dismantle illegal settlements and stop the crimes of the settlers,” the council said in the statement.
The United Nations Office for Human Rights has expressed concern about the protracted and extremely violent attack by Israeli settlers on Palestinians in the West Bank village of Al Mughayyir last Saturday (26 January), during which a 38-year-old Palestinian father of four, Hamdi Taleb Na’asan, was shot in the back and killed.